Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012


Jake and I headed to Michigan on Tuesday while Kevin's schedule was changed last minute. He made it eventually but it was a long ride for such a short trip. Definitely a bummer about restaurants during the holidays, and having family 7 hours away. 
 Jake, always the perfect traveler


The night before Thanksgiving, we went to the Clarkston Union restaurant since all my friends in MI boast about how great their lobster macaroni cheese is. Mom and Jake got the regular, rich Mac n cheese, I had some Italian sandwich with beer cheese soup. 

The restaurant is an old church that was still has the pews, which are used as seating. Kevin couldn't stop thinking how awesome it'd be to have a bistro or restaurant of his own. I agree it would be great! Its not like he isn't working a ton of hours already!




The next morning I was up and ready to prepare the feast with my mom; she definitely is my inspiration for cooking! Her and I talk about starting our own business of cooking for a family 4 dinners per week, with dessert for a fee. Our idea is for working families that want to avoid the fast food world. Its not a pipe dream, but it certainly seems to be a job her and I can handle and would love!



My mom and dad surprised me with a new cookbook (yes, I truly am my mothers daughter) by Barefoot Contessa! It is her newest release and they gave me an autographed copy. Ahh, sooo awesome!

While the turkey was finishing, Grammie and Jake made Knox blox. So cute :-) 


Kevin had to drive back after our feast later, so he was trying to catch up on some sleep. Poor guy :-(  I should probably give you a little update on his job. He is working towards his promotion, which they call 'k school'. Its a 6 month program that he needed to complete in 6 weeks! Oy! Now, it seems every time he is promoted, a move is involved! Well that is totally unsettling! He had all these big bosses coming in to check up in him, and his current bosses being unfair with the schedule, along with half the staff quitting before November. Nice, huh? 

Now, we are pretty easy going people, but living in limbo and trying to make plans for the future, these decisions can be quite difficult. Jake basically knows his Dad has to be at work more and its 'mommy and me time' for the next few months. That really isn't any different than what its been, anyway. I just had to put on a happy front and do my best to live in the now.  That's something I have to constantly remind myself: to be a SAHM, hubs has to work, and in the restaurants, it's even more irregular hours. Boo. It is what it is :-)  We will keep trucking along with beaming faces. So until then, when he can catch some zzzzzzs, he does!






 After our feast was finished, we did dishes, read some books, played on the iPads, and played several games of Sorry! That game made me realize, that having an only child, he's never lost at a game. Tears were shed a few times....well, no time like the present to give him a dose of reality I suppose :-)  At the end, he understood.

2 comments:

  1. Kev is truly working towards his goals, and I can understand how unsettling it must be to not know where or if you are moving next. The last time you were moving it was like 'okay, you have three weeks until your moving to Louisville' then the next week it was 'How soon can you move, like is tomorrow good?' I found that a ridiculous request, but your family is united and together you will meet your future head on. LOVE all the photos in this post. You ARE your mother's daughter! I smell more barefoot cooking going on in your kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when the job switches work dates and you end up having to wing it last minute. It is so great that you put on a positive attitude about it. It isn't awesome for us but then again it isn't awesome for them either. SIGH. Soon hopefully all his hard work will pay off.

    ReplyDelete